Serving Clients In Carver County And Throughout The Greater Minneapolis – Saint Paul Region

What constitutes retaliation from an employer

On Behalf of | Apr 17, 2017 | Hostile Work Environment |

There is a range of situations that might motivate an employer to retaliate against you. Perhaps you have rebuffed advances or drawn attention to a concern, or maybe you have done nothing at all.

According to the Society for Human Resource Management, claims of retaliation filed with the EEOC recently reached an all-time high, so it is clearly not a rare occurrence. If you have been punished in any of the following ways for engaging in legal and protected actions, you may have experienced retaliation from your employer.

You were demoted

If you previously worked in a senior position and suddenly got demoted to a lesser role, you might be wondering why this has happened. A demotion is a common form of retaliation because it embarrasses an employee and forces him or her to work at a lower level. Regardless of the reason given, if you have experienced this, it may be a form of retaliation that your employer is leveraging against you.

You received a reduced salary

Much like a demotion, a reduced salary is a common way to administer retribution against an employee. There may be any number of reasons given, but a salary reduction is a very real threat to your livelihood, and it should not be taken lightly. Whether you receive an hourly wage or a set salary, you should never be subject to reduced wages as a form of punishment.

You were assigned to a new shift or job hours

Shift reassignment is another common form of retaliation. If you typically work first shift and get moved to third, for example, it will naturally disrupt your life and cause some serious conflict. This is why some employers use it as a means of retaliating against employees. If the hours you work have been changed, and it coincides with a workplace issue, it may not be a coincidence at all.

If you suspect your employer is retaliating against you, there are legal options. Contact an attorney for more information on recourse.



RSS Feed